Current Colour Trends

Current colour trend - brown paper stock with white and green. I like this trend, I think it shows a humble brand. It also carries a subtle environmental message which fits in with our current climate as well.



Green and blue combination's are everywhere at the moment, as companies are jumping on the 'eco friendly' bandwagon. The obvious colour combo of green for growth and nature mixed with blue for water and the sky is being used on anything from logos, websites, packaging, photography...anything that can mean 'saving the planet'

I think it will start to get boring and cliche very quickly, and I think designers should get more creative in their eco friendly applications. I believe that everything we design from now on should consider the environment as a priority - eg designing for less consumption, more recycled materials, less waste, less transportation etc. So it doesn't need to be obvious anymore!! You can still make a beautiful black stylish logo for an environmentally conscious company. It doesn't have to be a handrawn blue and green cliche brand!
Colour blocking is also a trend I have been seeing a lot of lately, using simple blocks of colour matched with paired down typography to differentiate between flavours or varities. I think it works well but I also think the packaging needs to be special in some way otherwise the brand could loose its shelf presence.
Ok the next trend I have noticed is printing on brown paper stock so that your colours are desaturated and browny looking. I like this use of paper to control colour, I think it adds another dimension to a brand and looks cool.
Patterns and colour have also been big this year, like this designer Evian bottle. Happyness and optimism to get us through the bad economic times! I love the colour bands on this water, i would definitely buy it.

More brown paper stock. Beautiful, subtle colours.